Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Tactics Update

I finished my first circle on level 3 today. Compared to level 2, the problems become trickier (I scored 84,5%). An example (white to move) :


I immediately saw the discovered check which allows me to exchange my bishop for the black queen. My two options were Rd5+ and Rb7+. I couldn't find a difference between the two moves, so I thought both of them would be correct (Rd5+/Rb7+, Qxd7, Rxd7).

As you probably guessed by now, Rd5+ / Rb7+ is not correct. I totally missed Rf5+, Kd4, Rf4+ (winning the black queen, keeping the bishop).

I'll keep repeating it : When you see a good move, look for a better one... .

2 comments:

Blue Devil Knight said...

Way to go! From what King of the Spill said, Levels 4 and 5 are quite a bit harder!

I did through level 3 before starting my circles. It was a good foundation.

Sir Piño said...

Indeed, level 4 is a lot harder (mainly because the problems are 3 move combinations instead of 2 move combinations).